Become A Client Magnet – Virtual Assistant Branding & Marketing

How To Brand And Market Your Virtual Assistant Business

Just a couple of days ago I asked my community of aspiring, new and established virtual assistants what they are struggling with in regards to their virtual assistant business.

It was clear as most of the responses were:

My biggest struggle is finding and keeping clients.

One of the things I am most passionate about is helping women and men like you grow a successful virtual assistant business. Β  So I talk a lot about how I built my own successful virtual assistant business back in 2010. Β  I didn’t do it magically, I did it with a lot of hard work and a lot of research into the best ways to brand and marketing my business.

So when I hear from my community that they are struggling with finding clients what I really hear is “I am having trouble branding and marketing my virtual assistant business”.

You need to learn how to attract clients and not run after them and that’s not something that you just learn overnight. Β This took me years to understand and I am learning more and more about how to brand, position and market my business every day.

So today I am going to talk a little bit about what you can do to boost your client rooster in a way that won’t make you feel like you’re spinning your wheels.

Meet me below in the comments and let’s keep this conversation going because so much of the great advice comes from YOU and my community of amazing ladies (and gents!).

Sending love…

Reese

24 Responses to Become A Client Magnet – Virtual Assistant Branding & Marketing

1. J Hunter says:

Hi Reese,

I love what you’re doing here, and the following you’ve created. I’d love to talk about some ideas for training and education that I believe could be mutually beneficial to our VA’s and our clients.

2. Jen Rodrigues says:

I have been laid off for awhile now and I have been trying to start my VA business but I can’t find any clients. Do you have a list of businesses or something that are hiring virtual assistants?? I am in dying need of help. I need work ASAP.

3. Deb says:

Hi Reese!

This is my first post, although I’ve been lurking for about a month now and have read I think everything on your site! Just wanted to say thanks for all of the great information you share about getting started as a VA. This video about finding clients, networking and putting yourself out there is great. I think sometimes we (as humans, especially those of us who tend to be information gatherers), read about what we should do and get ourselves set up with social media accounts on Twitter and LinkedIn, make a few status updates, and then when people are not falling into our laps, get frustrated and doubt ourselves. But like you said, it takes a lot more than just making a status post now and then, it is about using this as an avenue to really connect with people, not just about your service, but about them.

A friend recently said to me, “everyone is a potential client.” I suppose that is true, but I would prefer to think of it as everyone is the path to a potential client… it makes my interaction less salesy if I am not seeing them as the client, rather getting to know them on a more genuine level so that based on the quality of our relationship, they may at some point refer me to a potential client. Plus, it is way more fun meeting people if I am not constantly thinking about how they might need my services, rather can just focus on and enjoy the interests we have in common.

Deb

p.s. your hair is really cute!

• Reese says:

DEB! Where have you been hiding! πŸ™‚ Thank you for finally coming out and sharing your thoughts. I couldn’t agree with you more, every connection you make in life is relevant. The more you actually invest in your relationships with people, the more you will see that your business will flourish because of it. In this industry and in many others it’s all about giving. Give to get. Or as Gary Vaynerchuk says, give value, give value, give value, then make your ask.

4. Kristen says:

Hi Reese,

I just stumbled on your site today, and this was the first video I watched. I think this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ve been thinking about starting my own virtual assistant business for what seems like years, and just last week, I finally took the plunge and made it official. But, then I felt stuck in the mud. I had no idea what to do next.

I would really like to work with bloggers, small shop owners, and small business owners. This is where I have a lot of experience, and what I enjoy doing. I’m a blogger myself, and I’m part of a very tight blogging community. I try to help out on the forums everyday when people have questions about blogging or anything else.

It sounds like this is a step in the right direction. Now, I’m off to explore more of your site so I can learn as much as possible!

Kristen

• Reese says:

Kristen, sorry for the delay in response! That’s awesome that you’re off to a great start. Seems like you have a clear path that you’re heading down. Forums are an excellent way to build your brand and expertise. I look forward to hearing more from you soon.

5. Osho says:

Hi Reese,

Thanks for the blog. For now I am doing word of mouth marketing and I landed my first client yesterday. Your training I took the last time helped me a lot with confidence and committment. I realized that it is about starting with the skills I got while learning the others that I need. There are always people in need of them.

Thank you so much Reese. Couldn’t have done this without you.

Warmest regards and love,
    Osho.

6. Lisa says:

Hi Reese,

Was there supposed to be a video? You mentioned talking and I did not see anything.

Lisa

7. Erin says:

What a great post! I am just getting started and looking into all the ways to market my business. There are so many options. I am going to pick 2 and work them. Then, after a month, if something is not working, I can change it up with something else. I have been lucky so far and had a few people contact me. I can’t wait to get my first client!!!

Also, I think it’s awesome that you donated your hair πŸ™‚ It looks great!

8. Molly Baker says:

Hi Reese –
    Great video blog post! You are right – the more I am able to define and feel comfortable with my target market, the easier it gets to talk about it. Sometimes I feel like I’ll never “get there” (is there a THERE?? lol), but when I look back at where I was a year ago, I’m amazed at how much I’ve learned.

Thanks for your great posts and I love the Tribe on FB!

Molly

9. Linda says:

Great article Reese! I am having the same types of issues, being “old school” but that doesn’t mean I can’t learn. I am working towards being an OBM, because I feel that this is where my real strengths will come and I’ll be more marketable with this under my belt. Who says you can’t teach an old dog “new tricks”? Just sayin…

Thanks!

• Reese says:

Linda, you can do whatever you put your mind to. You are a rock star. I just adore you. Thanks for always being there to support me! XOXO

10. Marie Gray says:

Thanks Yolanda…I think I’m just afraid that admitting I’m really excited about being here means quitting…but there is no reason that I can’t just continue on with my referrals and see where it takes me!

Lynne: I am a frequent reader of your blog. πŸ˜‰ Thanks for your advice!

Reese: I love the haircut too, meant to say that before, it is a big change from your long locks I am so used to seeing!!!

• Reese says:

Marie, ahh, decisions decisions. You are right that you can continue on with your referrals and see where it takes you. Great outlook and great way of seeing the forest through the trees. As for my hair….it’s something I’ve been working towards for a long time. I just donated 30 centimeters of my hair to Cancer. I love the new look so thanks for noticing!

11. Wow Reese – firstly your hair looks great & secondly that was a stellar blog video! I do get involved with people and give away information freely but I am not involved enough. Presently I am busy with a marketing campaign to architects (my target market) and I have sent out 24 letters which I am doing old school. Each letter is individually addressed to suit the person (I know quite a few of them so am sending personal information since I saw them last) and then I follow up with a phone call. I then ask if they have read my letter, have any questions or mind being put on my newsletter list. So I am basically doing 12 firms/architects a week and am being consistent. So far I’ve had 2 replies. 2 out of 24 is not bad. To Marie and Traci above, Traci I too am old school and know how you feel but there is work for us and to Marie, listen to your heart! Thanks Reese – great stuff! Lynne

12. Marie Gray says:

I started down the VA path as a positive focus to get me through a crappy job situation, a VERY crappy job situation. I can’t help but think that decision was a poor one. Now I’m working for a small family owned business that is headed for great things, and I am right up there at the helm with the Owner and my co manager. I am more excited about this than I was about working from home and for myself….or am I? I don’t know which direction to go in, I’m terrified that my desire to be here and be part of this growth and change and success is really just a crutch to lean on to justify my lack of want to be a successful VA. Mostly I’m struggling with life long perceptions of not being good enough or smart enough, and add to that, a quitter! These are also the reasons that I am in a less than stellar marriage, and stuck inside a fat suit. Wow, pity party at Marie’s place huh! Hoping someone has some insight for me. Marie in Vermont.

• Yolanda says:

Marie,
      You sound very confused and frustrated. I’m so sorry. (((Hugs)))

To clarify, are you physically working at a business now or are you a VA for the business? If you are working AT the business and you’re happy there, go for it!

I too, have the perceptions of not being good enough, and I have to stop, take a look around and see the good things I have. Sure, I’m not a millionaire, I’m struggling with money now, I have no health insurance, and I’m scared I’ve done a stupid thing (like quitting my good paying job) BUT we all need to take some sort of risk in life sometimes.

EVERYONE has great qualities. Everyone. Everyone has something to offer. If you’re finding that the VA biz is not for you, you can certainly utilize those skills in the place you’re at now, correct? Change IS scary, no doubt about that. But you go with what feels right.

Hope you have a good day.
      Yolanda

13. Traci says:

OK, so I will put myself out there in hopes of getting some good responses and ideas.

Over this past month or two (and having been laid off), I have been working hard and doing tons of research in hopes of starting my own business. But this is my struggle. It seems that so many VA’s specialize in the technology fields (Web, graphic design, etc) and this is wonderful. However, I am starting to feel that I am a very old school VA. My strengths are things such as secretarial (mail merges, correspondence), database management, travel planning, event planning, etc. I am not strong with web development, graphic design, social media and the like. While I know that these are areas I need to educate myself as this seems to be the way of the world, how do I promote myself and assist people being old school? I have been trying to brainstorm ideas about what I can say or do on LinkedIn to make my presence known and to truly provide assistance to people, but not sure people really care about a mail merge in Word. Seems they are more preoccupied with SEO, social media and the like. So this is my struggle. I know that I will overcome it, but if anyone has ideas or suggestions, I am gladly willing to listen. Thanks!

• Reese says:

Traci, you’re right, entrepreneurs do need tech folks that they can turn to to get various tasks done but you have to remember that in addition to that a business owner also needs straight up admin help. Most of the time the VAs that do all this tech stuff like website updates, graphic design, etc) hate doing the admin stuff like travel planning, database management and the things you mentioned above. I speak for myself here. When I get hired as a tech VA I make it very clear that we need to find someone who is passionate about the admin stuff because I don’t want to do it. I have a client who needed me for tech stuff and I found another VA to do the strictly admin stuff.

Don’t start off this game with negative feelings about your worth. YOU ARE necessary. You are talented and skilled and you’re NOT a commodity.

• Reese says:

By the way when I think of what you wrote above the first logo that pops into my mind is a caricature of you holding a big boom box because THAT is Old School.

• Erin says:

Traci – I definitely think would be your niche, your specialty. That is what you offer at a high quality. You don’t have to offer everything to be successful. Offer what you do best.

Reese – I LOVE that idea for a logo for Traci. Very cool, and would probably resonate with certain business owners.