Free Training For Virtual Assistants

free-training-for-virtual-assistants-large

There is an abundance of free training on the Internet just waiting to be taken advantage of.

I went from working as a general administrative virtual assistant to specializing in WordPress membership sites and content marketing within a short period of time and doubled my rates as a result.

I took advantage of the Internet and found a ton of valuable free content.  I joined webinars, watched YouTube videos and followed the advice of some of the most famous internet entrepreneurs out there.   Below are just some of the online resources I use to to keep up to date on the latest in marketing and tech.

HubSpot

HubSpot is an on-line marketing leader who helps thousands of businesses with on-line marketing.   They also offer some of the most amazing free webinars and a ton of free resources.

I have joined numerous webinars, and each webinar is packed with tremendous value. I walk away with from each webinar with new skills to offer my clients. With topics like SEO, website marketing, blogging and how to social media marketing you simply can’t afford to ignore this powerhouse of information.

Alison.com

Alison is a free online learning website. There are courses on Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Google Apps, WordPress, podcasting and video editing just to name a few!

Udemy

Udemy is a great online resource to learn just about anything from entrepreneurship to how to code your own website.  For virtual assistants, there are plenty of free courses in a variety of areas that will be useful.  Courses like learning how to use WordPress,  Advanced Microsoft Suite training and more.  It’s definitely worth checking out so you can brush up on your skills and even learn something new.

CopyBlogger

One of my favorite online resources is a website called CopyBlogger. CopyBlogger offers a truly indispensable beginners copy-writing course. In addition to CopyBlogger’s copy-writing course, you can also get free training on email marketing, content marketing and SEO (search engine optimization).

A Course About Copy

There are two pages on your website that you must write well and they are the home and about pages. A Course About Copy from Nikki ElledgeBrown will teach you how to write an amazing about page which in turn helps you write the home and any other page on your site.

WPBeginner

WPBbeginner is a free WordPress resource site that has over 130,000 users. They offer an amazing free WordPress training course called WPBeginner’s WordPress101. The training is very basic so if you don’t know your way around WordPress this is a great resource.  If you’re familiar with WordPress this training might be too basic for you so I recommend checking out their other free content in the blog.

SkillShare

SkillShare has quickly become the go-to online learning platforms because the bring in some of the best instructors around.  Some of the courses are free, but most are paid. I couldn’t think of a better marketing instructor than Seth Godin or learning social media strategy from Gary Vaynerchuk. And Entrepreneurship from Barbara Corcoran? Awesome. Sign up, thank me later.

ByRegina.com

Regina is AMAZING. She has a very popular site that help bloggers and creative entrepreneurs get their ducks in a row when it comes to starting their business. Regina offers a free blog school that goes over the foundations for setting up your site/blog. She goes over how to design your own logo and even gives you a brand identity cheatsheet.  After you take Regina’s blog school I encourage you to dig in deep on her site because it’s chock full of valuable resources to help you get set up.

Canva

Visual Marketing is critical for a brand’s success and a virtual assistant business is no different. Enter Canva. Canva is a free simple graphic design software. It used to be that to create beautiful graphics you had to hire a graphic designer. Now all you have to do is create a free account and sign up for the Canva Design School to get started. Create social media graphics, website graphics, presentations, business cards and more. The sky is the limit.

Your First Client, a free e-course made for Virtual Assistants

Your First Client is an in-depth free e-course that teaches virtual assistants what they need to know to start and run a successful virtual assistant business. The content in this course isn’t fluff. It’s chock full of advice from a successful virtual assistant (me!) that’s been in the industry since 2008.

Not sure how to get clients for your VA business?

Sign up with your email below to get my free audio training plus some amazing worksheets that will help you figure it out!

Powered by ConvertKit

What online resources  do you use to broaden your skills as a virtual assistant?  Let us know by sharing them in the comments below.   I read every single comment and look forward to hearing from all of you.

Did you enjoy reading this article and find it useful?  If so, highlight any sentence in the post and tweet it out or share it to your favorite social network. I’d love you for it!

Love,

Reese

93 Responses to Free Training For Virtual Assistants

1. Malibu says:

I just got my first client and they want me to create my own website and also a separate website strictly for me as there virtual assistant to have their clients come to me so they can focus on the work and i can handle the assisting of their clients. I’m new to doing this. what should i write and add to both sites? PLEASE HELP!!

2. Kelly says:

Hi! My name is Kelly. My hubby, son and I would like to look into being VA’s but don’t know where to start. I an almost 50 and I am trained in broadcasting. I can type and I did some receptionist work. Our son is good on the pc, he is 23. My hubby drives a forklift. My mom was a secretary all her life so I have been around some secretarial work. Where are looking at where to start and how. I am a stay at home mom and daughter, both sons are older so we have no small children to work with. I home-schooled our sons. We have done network marketing. I really like your site and help, thank you, we will be getting started with your course and the sites you suggest. Just trying to figure out where to get training that we need.

3. Michelle says:

Hi Reese, I am an aspiring VA from the Philippines. I’ve been wanting to start this challenging and profitable career as a VA but I don’t know where to begin. With all the free info on the web, it’s so easy to get overwhelmed and be paralyzed in starting. I have a positive feeling about you and this free course that’s why I signed up and I am very excited to know more. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and may your business grow in more ways than one.

4. Daniele Robbers says:

So I am tired so many things and a few years ago research being a virtual assistant. I have no income and been trying to get on my feet again after some health issues knocked me down flat. I have two children and I am a single mom. For a year now I been trying and researching anything I can do with my merger means. I was doing direct sales but it fizzled out. So I hit the net again a few nights ago in search of the answer to my prayers. I found d this article saw the potential and being so many of these things I been wanting to learn any ways, decided to take the plunge and signed up for your email course. From there I have really been able to see this is what I want to do and how. I am even changing my major before school starts to business administration! I have recommended you too two ladies I know already and anyone who ask for more I will send here first! My goal is October for start up but soon would be nice. Without finding your blog, this post I still would be lost. I can’t thank you enough.

5. Daniele Robbers says:

So lost on where to start. I am a single mom of two about to go back to school full time I need a flexible niche and have no idea what skills I have and need.I feel very blessed to have found this page. I applied for fancyhands.com just to test the waters can’t wait to really check out your blogging.
    M

6. Nechele says:

Wow… Reese – Your site is Very Resourceful! Thank you for sharing…I will be reviewing these sites…

7. SHANNON NIX says:

Thanks so much for the information! I am ready to get started 🙂

8. Victoria Barrett says:

Thanks Reese for the information. I will certainly use the free resources to help further me in starting my own at home business.

9. Tania Kibort says:

Awesome article Reese! I’m certainly going to look into all the resources you gave. I have been looking in the regular channels for Administrative work but having no luck. Maybe I too can be like you and have something on my own! I guess I am just a little fearful and feeling lost on how to accomplish that. But after all you have posted its giving me more faith to give it a try! Thanks Reese!

10. Kaci Michael says:

Hello Dear Reese, Thank you for the info. I will check them out, I am particularly excited to view Alison and CopyBlogger. I am always looking for continuing ed type courses. Love it!

11. Michelle Weidema says:

Great info! Thanks, Reese! Is there any info posted on writing a business plan? I may have overlooked that!

• Reese says:

Hi Michelle! No, I haven’t written a post on business plan writing as I am sort of the anti-business plan kind of gal. I believe that your business plan is a leaving, breathing document that doesn’t have to be a traditional business plan but rather be a collection of your business values and goals so you can stay on track.

12. Denise Patton says:

Hi Reese,
    Thanks so much for this great resource! It is really helpful since I’m trying to start up my business.

13. Elizabeth says:

I am also a newbie starting my VA business. You are a blessing. The information is so timely and will be a big help to me. Thank you so much.

14. Lori says:

I want to start my career as a VA. We all have to start from somewhere.
    This is a great place to start and get moving. Thank Reese!!!

15. Avinash says:

Thanks a lot.. Much required to me 🙂

16. Kwen says:

Thank you for sharing. I’ll definitely check all the sites you’ve mentioned. Great help for starters like me.

17. Stacy Wright says:

Invaluable… thanks a million!!

18. Shernette says:

Just starting out as an Independent Contractor. I was an administrator and I’m exploring being a VA part-time. I will be checking out your recommendations. Thanks.

19. Marie says:

I would like to serve as an intern to another Virtual Assistant and possible start working for her/him as my introduction to the VA world. I am a newbie and I could really use the experience. I am in New York City and my hours are flexible and I would really appreciate the opportunity.

Marie Peterson
    917-569-0150
    mariepeterson17@gmail.com

20. Sandi Freeman says:

Thank you for this valued information Reese!! I am taking notes.
    I am currently working as a VA through an online network but my ultimate goal is to start my own business. I am very interested in picking up all the new training to build on my skills. I am so grateful for finding you and many other leaders in this arena that are helping me along the way… Thank you for what you do!! You are amazing and “You Rock”.

21. Angela Lee says:

Dear Reese,

Thank you so much for the valuable information on starting out my Virtual Assistant Business.
    I came across your blog and have just found the information excellent. I was really looking at what rate should I be charging as a new VA and your article has been very insightful. I plan on starting with a few services then expand my expertise. I will definitely be back to tell you how it is going.

22. Thank you for the valuable tips and information, as usual! And, Happy Rosh Hashanah!

23. Thanks for the resources, it’s great to keep learning and improve skills. I also found another one that has a lot of training available: http://www.lynda.com/.

24. Dear Reese,
    I have found your weblog googleing for information on VA services, as I am starting my business – linguistic mediation agency (website is coming soon). One of its bundles will be a blended business facilitation consisting of virtual assistance and a few offline services for exporters trying to enter the Spanish Market. I´d like to thank you for such a GREAT and practical information! I truly can´t stop reading your posts (-:
    My Best Regards,
    Natalia

• Reese says:

Natalia, why THANK YOU!!!!! Your business sounds well thought out and I really look forward to see what you’ll come up with! Come back and show off the site once it’s done! XOXO

25. Sylvia Wilson says:

You are Fabulousness! Thanks for the resources. Will make excellent use of them to be like you when I grow up:) Blessings, Sylvia

26. Ellen says:

Reese,
    Thanks so much for always being so helpful! These resources are great! I always want to be learning new things. I always look forward to seeing your newest blog entries too. It comes from the heart… thank you so much! Your appreciated.

Ellen

27. Marie Badger says:

These are great. I really like Alison as they have so many trainings that are beneficial to everyone. Thanks for all the great info.

28. Ellen Taylor says:

Reese,

Thank you so much for always being so helpful! I can tell that one of your passions is helping those of us who are just now getting our starts, keeping us informed of anything that will help us become successful. You are a true gem! I can’t thank you enough for all the useful info. you’ve posted and how it is helping me get started. Thanks from the bottom of my heart! Ellen

29. Beverly says:

Good Morning Reese,

I read your information on naming a business and I came up with this name for my virtual business. AllSource Business Management 2. I really like diversity so as I start, I want to include everything and then later specialize. How does this all sound to you.

• Reese says:

Is the name AllSource Business Management with a number 2 at the end? If so I would suggest dropping the number 2. Otherwise, sounds great!

30. Gina Mann says:

Hi

I am thinking of doing the virtual assistant thing but I am the main breadwinner in our household due to my husband’s ill health and I cant give up my day job yet. Any suggestions as to how to start small and get bigger?

I am so glad I found this site, you sound great fun and I think that is very important in life, to have as much fun as possible!

Gina
    Stroud
    United Kingdom

• Reese says:

Gina, thank you! I try to have as much fun as I can. I understand completely where you are coming from. Read my about page about how I got started in the VA business. I started out working nights while I kept my day job. I worked 2-3 hours a night on average and I did this with two small babies at home. You CAN do this!

31. Tina says:

Hi Reese,
    I want to thank you as well for the great information. I didn’t realize there was so much out there for us to utilize for FREE….
    It is awesome that you share your resources with us.
    Thanks again
    Have a great day:)

32. Uma Mahi says:

Reese, Thanks for letting us know about “the triple threat” :). I will watch the videos when I find time this weekend. And yes, thank you very much for reminding me about Alison.com. Though I have it in my TODO list, am yet to visit the site.

33. Salome says:

Thank you very much for the very useful information.

34. Sharon says:

You are such a huge help Reese! Love your articles and everything you do for VA’s out there!

35. Roxanne says:

Reese, thanks for your generous spirit. I will have to schedule a regular spot in my schedule to make sure I take advantage of these freebies.

36. PK Sims says:

HI Reese,
    This is great! I love free anything, but training is the best! Thanks!

37. Thanks Reese – appreciate the info. – free training is liquid gold to me! See you on line and have an excellent week.

38. Harsha says:

Hello Reese,

i am in India and i am in Virtual assistance profession since 2years, earlier i was working with the firm and now i am an independent VA,

I need to know that, will our location effects on generating business.

• Reese says:

Hi Harsha, I know that a lot of American companies outsource to India and the Philippines. I myself work with a web developer from New Delhi and he has become a part of my virtual team. Prior to that I used virtual assistants from the Philippines to outsource some of my own work to. The key to generating more business is to market yourself and gain more skills in the process.

39. John Hardy says:

Hello . I checked out the courses on Alison about Microsoft and they are similar to the ones that you can download from Microsoft’s website. They still have 2003 version available ( I am biased toward this as I am certified in it)
    If this course can be used toward Microsoft Office certification, this is a gem!

John Hardy

40. Wow, Reese! Thanks for sharing. I will have to look into this.

41. Sandra Sims says:

I like HubSpot’s articles most times and will have to check out Copyblogger’s! Thanks Reese!

42. Ali Rittenhouse is a great resource for all things techie as well. Her free tutorials are the bomb!

• Reese says:

Josia, how could I have forgotten to include Ali! Her stuff is definitely worth mentioning so THANK YOU for reminding me. 🙂

43. Rock On! These are great resources, and totally new to me. Much appreciate and I will check them out and recommend. Many thanks!

44. Thank you so much for these fabulous resources, Reese! 🙂 Bookmarked this post!

• Reese says:

You are so welcome Sandra! Let me know what you think of all the training once you have had time to go through some of the links.

45. Anna says:

Fantastic list, Reese! I hadn’t heard of Nathalie or Alison, so I will be off to check them out. Copyblogger and HubSpot are on my list of favourite free resources. I definitely recommend that others sign up because then you receive fantastic free eBooks from HubSpot on a regular basis and Copyblogger’s daily newsletter is always a brilliantly informative read. As everyone knows, I love a good freebie, and I actually have a secondary email address for all my signups because there is so much fantastic free information out there up for grabs! Thanks for adding a couple more to my list! 🙂

• Reese says:

Anna, we all know you love a freebie! Ha! Maybe you’ll write my first guest blog post on great online freebies around the web. Hmmmm…wheels are turning. 🙂

46. Resa says:

Did I tell you lately how much I miss working with you? It’s great to have my own VA business going on but I miss our daily contact and the opportunities to bounce ideas off each other. As always you are a wealth of information and we greatly appreciate it!

• Reese says:

I miss working together too, Resa! The best part about not working together is that I get to see you more now that we’re not!

47. Linda Henslee says:

Thank you for the new links to FREE training! Wow, you are awesome!!

48. John Hardy says:

Great article. Alison I had not heard of, interesting to see how their MSOffice compare to the ones you can get on Microsoft’s site.

49. Kim Moler says:

Awesome resources, thank you Reese, I’ve been looking for something like this.

• Reese says:

So happy that I was able to give you some of what you were looking for. Let me know what you think of everything once you’ve had a look to take a peek.

50. Beverly says:

Thank you so much for the info. I am finding it very helpful.

51. Thanks so much for the shout out and the link love Reese! 🙂 So glad all the free resources are useful, woohoo to getting techy with it.